Neapolitan Smoothie Shake

Tuesday, May 27, 2014




Okay, I'll admit it now, I LOVE smoothies.  Summertime turns me into a smoothie addict, but there's nothing wrong with that, right?  My freezer is currently stocked with frozen fruit: bananas, watermelon, mangos, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, you name it!  The best thing about smoothies are the endless possibilities, and how you don't really have to follow a recipe.  (Although, yes, I do own 365 Vegan Smoothies, and recommend it!)  Something I learned from this book is how amazing frozen bananas and watermelon blend into a frothy, creamy shake.

I'm sure most of you reading this have had "banana ice cream" by blending frozen bananas with a non-dairy milk until it turns into, well, ice cream.  I often add a spoonful of peanut butter and cocoa powder to mine for a super decadent shake.  This recipe takes this idea to the next level though, Neapolitan.  A layer of sweet vanilla, rich chocolate, and fruity strawberry "ice cream," mmm.  My best vanilla shakes happen when I blend frozen bananas and watermelon: they're creamy, sweet, and tinted pink.  If you are an aspiring smoothie addict, I recommend always having bananas and cubed watermelon waiting for you in the freezer.  (I mean you're a handful of fresh mint away from making a Shamrock Shake, try it).


Ingredients:
2 cups frozen bananas
1 cup frozen watermelon
3-4 frozen strawberries
Non-dairy milk
Spoonful of chocolate hazelnut butter or cocoa powder
Vanilla extract (optional)


Equipment:
Blender
Big glass or jar
Wide glass straw or long spoon
Small spatula


Method:
Instead of blending 3 separate smoothies, I first made a vanilla base and used it for all three flavors.  First, add your frozen bananas and watermelon to a blender.  You only need as much non-dairy milk as it takes to help move the fruit along while blending.  I start with a splash, adding a little at a time as necessary while blending.  If you aren't using vanilla flavored non-dairy milk, I recommend adding about a capful of vanilla extract to your mix.  Blend the vanilla base until smooth and creamy.  Fill your glass a third of the way full with the vanilla mix and set aside.

Grab another glass or a small bowl, and empty out half of your remaining mix and set aside.  This will be used for your strawberry layer.  In your blender, add a spoonful of chocolate hazelnut butter or cocoa powder and blend.  If needed, throw in a few more slices of frozen banana to thicken your shake.  After well blended, layer your chocolate mixture over your vanilla mixture.  Give your blender a quick rinse and pour in the remaining vanilla mixture you set aside.  Throw in your frozen strawberries and blend until no strawberry chunks remain.  Pour over your vanilla/chocolate layers and garnish with a fresh strawberry.


Bonus cameo from my little Olive, who was really weirded out with my smoothie shake photoshoot <3


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© adventuring vegan All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger